Monday, January 24, 2011

Design Fundamentals 1: 2D Design

Some of my better works from my 2D Design class taken Fall 2010.


Our first assignment.  I did a lot of brainstorming for this one.  After writing 25 words that remind me of the sun, I picked 3 of my favorites, then narrowed that down to just one.  That word was "energy."  Thus, my sun symbol concept was to convey "energy."  India ink (brushed) and micron pens.


Part 1 of the Line Assignment.  I was given these 9 words to portray only using lines.  The first box is in pencil; the second in ink.


Part 2 of the Line Assignment.  Examples of implied, psychic, vertical, horizontal, diagonal, and vertical and horizontal together.  Micron pens and Sharpie.


Part 3 of the Line Assignment.  My professor gave me a colored picture of a painting and told me to transfer the contour lines (edge lines) then shade using the cross-hatching method.  Micron pens.


This was the Scale and Proportion Assignment.  The goal was to make an odd looking face with magazine cut-outs by changing the proportions of the face.  I used newspaper (mainly because I forgot old magazines from home).  The images I found were pretty cool, because they had more of a grungy, dirty look to them.  And the creepy vampire teeth were just an awesome find! 
On the right side, I painted the collage in gouache paint.  This proved to be difficult mixing colors.  The worst part is the paint quality.  Gouache dries REALLY fast!


Part 1 of the Illusion of Space Assignment.  One-point and two-point perspectives done in gouache paint.


Part 2 of the Illusion of Space Assignment.  The bottom two were my favorite.  The bottom left box was showing space by size and color temperature.  Cool colors (blues and violets) recede in space while warm colors (orange and red) advance.  Cut paper, gouache, and graphite.


Part 3 of the Illusion of Space Assignment was equivical space (graphite and micron pen).  For those of you who don't know what that means, equivical space means all the different dimensions can't be distinguished from one another.  The best way to explain it is imagine having transparent layers of colored paper over lapping each other.  If you view this straight on, you can't tell what colors are on top or bottom.


The Spheres.  I didn't particularly like the process of doing these but I loved how they turned out!  The media were everything we used throughout the whole semester.  (Graphite, pens, Sharpies, gouache, ink and brush, and colored pencils.)


My midterm assignment.  I did a lot of brainstorming (just like with the sun symbol) for the midterm.  Because of my brainstorming, my design came out being pretty symbolic.  I originally started out with a statement that meant something to me:  people should follow their dreams.  From there I thought of 25 words that went with my statement (such as day-dreams, nightmares, fear, etc).  The idea is to keep branching off of the words until you get something that you can convey visually.  I ended up with a concept of hope in an impossible situation. Color combinations had a lot to do with this class so I used complements blue and orange for my design.  The ball is trapped on this platform in a spiky, dark cave, yet it still emits a warm color and light (note the bounce light on the spikes).  I just really loved this assignment.  

Stay tuned for more! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment